Most parents are aware of the problem created when doctors overprescribe antibiotics. This practice not only encourages bacterial resistance to antibiotics, but it also increases the odds that your child will become allergic to antibiotics. Because of this trend, the doctor may recommend deferring antibiotics if your child has a mild sinusitis or ear infection. It’s important to know, however, that strep throats are different. Because there is a risk of developing rheumatic fever with an untreated strep infection, doctors always treat strep throats. Therefore, if your child has symptoms of a strep throat or is acting sick and has been exposed to someone with strep, it is important to make an appointment to see your doctor.
- What’s a strawberry hemangioma?Strawberry hemangiomas are a collection of tiny capillaries located on the skin. Most resolve without treatment by the time a child is 5 to 10 years.
- What are the incubation periods of some common childhood illnesses?There is a lag time between being exposed to an infection and coming down with the disease. This time frame is called the incubation period.
- What’s in a teaspoon?Nowadays, doctors and parents need to be more precise in the way they give medicine to kids.
- Are febrile seizures dangerous?Febrile seizures occur in 3 percent of children between 6 months and 5 years. The seizure is triggered by the rapid rise in temperature that accompanies an illness.
- It’s common for fathers to bond with their babies after mothersI have made a point of telling new fathers that it’s “normal” for moms to bond to babies before they do.
- Kids eating too many Halloween treats? Try this trickDespite my confession, it used to drive me crazy to watch my kids gobble up pounds of candy every fall. My wife came up with a perfect solution to our dilemma.
- Limit visitors the first week you are home with your babyWhile it helps to have friends or relatives assist you in taking care of the baby, what begins as a 5-minute visit can easily stretch to an hour or more.
- How to make tummy time easierOnce parents start tummy time, lots of questions come up. How long should it last? How many times a day should we do it?
- How to clean a newborn’s vaginaCleaning this area often makes parents nervous. I recommend two things to make this easier.
- Why newborns poop when they’re nursingWhen a person’s stomach fills with food, it triggers a reflex that stimulates peristalsis.