It’s very common for the penis of an older infant or toddler to look smaller than it is. Parents (especially dads) worry that the child will have a small penis when he is older. Unless a child had an abnormally small penis at birth, this finding is usually due to something doctors call a “buried” or “hidden” penis. One of the cute things about young children is that they are pudgy. In particular, children often have a prominent fat pad in front of the pubic bone. When this occurs, the penis tends to disappear within the fat pad making it appear small. In some cases, all you may see is the tip of the penis poking out of the fat pad like a tiny turtlehead.The way to assess the true length of the penis is to gently push down on the fat pad. When you do this, you will notice that the penis elongates revealing its true size as the fat is pushed towards the baby. I use this maneuver to reassure parents on a daily basis.
- What’s a strawberry hemangioma?Strawberry hemangiomas are a collection of tiny capillaries located on the skin. Most resolve without treatment by the time a child is 5 to 10 years.
- What are the incubation periods of some common childhood illnesses?There is a lag time between being exposed to an infection and coming down with the disease. This time frame is called the incubation period.
- What’s in a teaspoon?Nowadays, doctors and parents need to be more precise in the way they give medicine to kids.
- Are febrile seizures dangerous?Febrile seizures occur in 3 percent of children between 6 months and 5 years. The seizure is triggered by the rapid rise in temperature that accompanies an illness.
- It’s common for fathers to bond with their babies after mothersI have made a point of telling new fathers that it’s “normal” for moms to bond to babies before they do.
- Kids eating too many Halloween treats? Try this trickDespite my confession, it used to drive me crazy to watch my kids gobble up pounds of candy every fall. My wife came up with a perfect solution to our dilemma.
- Limit visitors the first week you are home with your babyWhile it helps to have friends or relatives assist you in taking care of the baby, what begins as a 5-minute visit can easily stretch to an hour or more.
- How to make tummy time easierOnce parents start tummy time, lots of questions come up. How long should it last? How many times a day should we do it?
- How to clean a newborn’s vaginaCleaning this area often makes parents nervous. I recommend two things to make this easier.
- Why newborns poop when they’re nursingWhen a person’s stomach fills with food, it triggers a reflex that stimulates peristalsis.