Many children have difficulty separating from their parents when they begin nursery school. My wife came up with a terrific idea to help our son adjust to school. First, she asked the director for a class list two months before school began. Then she called all of the parents on the list and invited them and their child to a Sunday morning play session at the school playground. She told parents that she would be there with our son every week, but that other people could come whenever they wanted to. By the time school began, our son had met everyone in his class and knew half of the children pretty well. His transition in September was much easier than his mom or I would ever have predicted.
- What’s a strawberry hemangioma?Strawberry hemangiomas are a collection of tiny capillaries located on the skin. Most resolve without treatment by the time a child is 5 to 10 years.
- What are the incubation periods of some common childhood illnesses?There is a lag time between being exposed to an infection and coming down with the disease. This time frame is called the incubation period.
- What’s in a teaspoon?Nowadays, doctors and parents need to be more precise in the way they give medicine to kids.
- Are febrile seizures dangerous?Febrile seizures occur in 3 percent of children between 6 months and 5 years. The seizure is triggered by the rapid rise in temperature that accompanies an illness.
- It’s common for fathers to bond with their babies after mothersI have made a point of telling new fathers that it’s “normal” for moms to bond to babies before they do.
- Kids eating too many Halloween treats? Try this trickDespite my confession, it used to drive me crazy to watch my kids gobble up pounds of candy every fall. My wife came up with a perfect solution to our dilemma.
- Limit visitors the first week you are home with your babyWhile it helps to have friends or relatives assist you in taking care of the baby, what begins as a 5-minute visit can easily stretch to an hour or more.
- How to make tummy time easierOnce parents start tummy time, lots of questions come up. How long should it last? How many times a day should we do it?
- How to clean a newborn’s vaginaCleaning this area often makes parents nervous. I recommend two things to make this easier.
- Why newborns poop when they’re nursingWhen a person’s stomach fills with food, it triggers a reflex that stimulates peristalsis.